Tuesday, January 22, 2008

situational leadership???????

Those of us who propogate situational leadership will no doubt know one of the biggest and most often made mistakes is to consider someones commitment and directional level in one situation to be the same across all situations. I made this mistake very recently. And I made it with myself. My commitment to managing my time and my skill set managing my time are both exceptional. I require little direction and I have a great enthusiasm. However, I don’t have the same level of skill or commitment to managing others’ time.
I discovered I wasn’t committed, I wasn’t enthusiastic, and I didn’t have the skill set I thought I did. I had made the mistake of assuming I was great at managing others’ time since I was an excellent manager of my time. I was wrong. I immediately began seeking insight into my opportunity. And a side product of being a learner (has anyone discovered that strength?), my side product was my increased excitement as I learned more.
The lesson is to remember it’s “situational” leadership and “in every instance” leadership. (ha ha)